In his last year of life, Samuel Cooke died of complications from pneumonia.
He was 71.
But the restaurant chain where he worked for 15 years has decided to remove the meatloak from its menu.
The move comes after a string of health scares, including the death of a staff member and the discovery of thousands of pounds of waste in the back of a car.
“We do not intend to reopen Sam’s at this time, but we have decided to revisit the menu to include a new meatloa, which is available only at the restaurant,” said Michael Torme, head of marketing at Sam’s.
Sam’s, based in the U.K., is one of the largest restaurant chains in the world and has restaurants in London, New York, Los Angeles, Chicago and New Orleans.
The meatloam was introduced in the 1930s to reduce meat waste, and it was a staple at Sams restaurants, according to the company.
Cooke’s death has sparked debate about how restaurants can keep meat from spoiling and contributing to climate change.
The United Nations estimates that one-third of the greenhouse gas emissions from livestock and poultry come from waste from meat production, according a study by the Union of Concerned Scientists.
The USDA said it would continue to monitor the issue for any potential health concerns.