A former New York City police officer who was convicted of murder in the 2011 death of a pregnant woman who was allegedly murdered in his jail cell in 2012 is facing a new charge of attempted murder in her death.
The charge comes amid renewed criticism over the jail where he served as an officer.
In a statement on Thursday, Cook County State’s Attorney Anita Alvarez said that James J. O’Hara, 49, had been charged with second-degree murder, attempted second-grade murder, criminal possession of a weapon and criminal possession or possession of an instrument for committing a felony.
The prosecutor said O’Heaara was arrested Monday night in New York’s Hudson County on the murder charge.
She added that O’Halloran was “detained on the charges in the Hudson County Jail in New Jersey.”
O’Brien was the first officer to be arrested in the killing of Kathryn “Kathy” O’Connor, a 32-year-old nurse who was found dead in her jail cell on March 11, 2011.
OJ Simpson, a former police officer and former NFL quarterback, is serving a life sentence in prison for murdering O’ Connor, who was in a coma for more than six months.
Simpson, now 50, was convicted in April of second- and third-degree criminal homicide in the death of O’Conner.
Simpson was convicted last month of murder after a jury deliberated less than one hour.
The indictment said OJ and another officer “knowingly and willfully violated the rights of Ms. OConnor to due process of law.”
A second former New Jersey police officer, James F. Kupreke, also faces murder charges.
He is serving life in prison.
A federal jury in New Orleans acquitted Simpson of all charges against him in the 2014 death of Keith Lamont Scott, a black man.
Simpson and Kuprerke were convicted of killing Scott after a trial in which prosecutors presented evidence that showed they had watched a 911 recording of Scott’s arrest and attempted murder and took photos of Scott with their cellphones.
They were also found guilty of using force against Scott.
Oleg Kalugin, who served as a New Jersey state trooper in the 1970s, is charged with conspiracy and conspiracy to commit first-degree assault.
He was also convicted in a separate 2014 trial of second degree murder in Scott’s death.
His trial was suspended because of a federal judge’s ruling that he was entitled to a retrial.
OKG Media, which owns The New York Post, was ordered to pay $500,000 to O’Leary’s family.
The company declined to comment.
OAJ Cook is the latest in a series of high-profile police killings of African-Americans.
In July, former New Orleans police officer Michael Slager was charged with the fatal shooting of Walter Scott, an unarmed black man who was stopped in a car in the parking lot of a convenience store for selling loose cigarettes.
Slager shot Scott multiple times in the back after Scott allegedly ran away from him.
A second man, Walter Scott’s brother, who is black, also died from the injuries he sustained.
On March 6, 2014, police officers in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, shot and killed Sylville Smith, a 29-year old black man, who had been walking home with a girlfriend after a night out with friends.
Smith, who lived in a white neighborhood, was shot six times in a drive-by shooting.
His girlfriend, Deandre Campbell, was also shot.
Prosecutors said Smith was the only person they believed was armed when they opened fire on him.
OAKG Media also owns the Baltimore Sun, which published a series in which police officers were charged with killing Michael Brown and Freddie Gray, two black men who died after being arrested.